MomNom Header!

Homey.

I’ve been thinking (a lot) about my house.  It’s cute and all.  It just…needs some work. Bless its heart.

To be honest, it mostly needs people with expendable income…but, it’s not going to get that until we sell it.  So, in the meantime, I feel like it needs some work in the HOME department.

Ya feel me?

I mean, I know it’s a home – home. Like, it has walls and all that jazz. We sleep there, so there’s that.  But, it just doesn’t necessarily feel like ah-we’re home. (If that even remotely makes sense to anyone living on this planet.) I mean…it doesn’t feel like it represents the people that dwell within it.  Even if home is where the heart is and all that good stuff, your home still has to feel homey.

Homey. (I just had to say it again.)

To be honest, I think my home still feels like two kids who graduated college, had zero cash and threw together some handmedowns their parents had in the basement to make it look full.  At least some of the rooms look like that.  The other ones look like two kids who bought a home, got a credit card, went bat-shit-crazy in Pottery Barn and will pay for it (PLUS INTEREST) for the rest of their freaking life.

So, the house, that needs to be a home, doesn’t even match. (It’s more lovely than it sounds, I promise.)

It has some things that require cash that we just don’t have the cash (minor detail) to really do right now.  Like…redo all three bathrooms,  new hardwood in entryway and half bath, new carpet upstairs, new countertops in kitchen, a chair and ottoman that need to be re-upholstered, a new kitchen table (WHICH WE MAY BE GETTING FROM MY PARENTS! It hasn’t been sitting in their basement. Promise.)

But, those things are way too big picture for me.  We need big mullah. I have little mullah.  So, they take a back seat.

What I’m working on?  Projects.  I’ve decided to take all homey (and again) matters into my own  hands.  Therefore, the husband (see how quickly that “my own hands” thing changed? I’ve got that down.) will be purchasing chalk board paint to do something with the back of my island the requires framing and oodles of two year old scribble.  I will be purchasing frames for a art/photo wall in the entry hall. I already purchased a sign for the kitchen that defines my homey-ness.  And it is about to get CRAZY.

Like, I’ll be re-pinning the hell out of some shit for the entirety of 2012.  I have big plans for the entire house (well, except the boys room, his room is just plain adorable) in 2012.  No hallway will go untouched.  Things may get painted if I can convince someone to do it for me. (I don’t paint.)

I’m one tiny craft away from Martha Stewart, let me tell  ya.

I’m going to blog this out.  Don’t you worry.  I’ve got this.

17 comments

1 SassyB { 01.25.12 at 1:19 pm }

It has taken us about 25 years to get most of our rooms not to be like that. It doesn’t help that my husband is cheap and has no taste but has opinions about everything. There is hope for you!
SassyB recently posted..What’s Your Code?

Tiffany Reply:

Oh, 25 years…perhaps our next home will afford us that luxury. This one has us in it for 5 more. MAX.

2 Julie { 01.25.12 at 1:36 pm }

Im going through the SAME thing! We just moved into our “forever” house and I have so many amazing ideas of what to do. We are starting small, paint (pilfered from my parents but I love the colors do its all good), and a pinterest board full of DIY ideas. :). I can’t wait to start posting my projects before/after pics! What is your pinterest name? I totally want to follow you!

Tiffany Reply:

Thanks, Julie. I know this isn’t our forever home…but we’ll be here for at least a few more years, if not longer. Pinterest – Mom-Nom.Com!

3 Ashley { 01.25.12 at 5:05 pm }

I feel your pain! We bought a new house when we got married. Well, even new houses need work down and now I am semi-jobless, we have even less cash to spend. I mean I LOVED our house when we bought it. Add two kids and the shit two kids bring with them and BAM it now has 4 to many people living in it.

Plus, it doesn’t feel all homey. It did. But not anymore. Maybe that is a sign to move…
Ashley recently posted..One Day My Kids Will Think I’m Awesome

4 TheNextMartha { 01.25.12 at 9:46 pm }

I know this one. I’m constantly looking around wondering when it’s done. But then the garage door breaks. So let’s get a new table over….oh, now the washer just went out. Sigh.

5 Madonna { 01.26.12 at 5:27 am }

I could have written the same post… We bought a starter home and it has been just that. A bunch of renovations later, and it is time for us to start looking for a bigger house. And a place to implement the ridiculous number if pins I have! Good luck to you…. A fresh coat of paint can make a huge difference!

6 Mollie { 01.26.12 at 8:43 am }

Chalkboard paint is awesome!!! We just painted a wall (about 7ft wide and just to the ceiling) with chalkboard paint. It is the best idea we have had. It’s right off the kitchen so the kids aren’t up my butt when I am trying to load the dishwasher or cook and they have a creative outlet that the can do whenever they want. And it’s clean with just a wet rag!

7 whatever DeeDee Wants { 01.26.12 at 9:35 am }

I no how you feel all too well. At least I am working on painting my sons room this week, at least its a start.
whatever DeeDee Wants recently posted..Please Fill Out This Survey

8 Jennifer { 04.04.12 at 4:19 pm }

I just found your blog via Twitter, and have been reading for the past half-hour. I wish I had time to sit and read it all right now, but it’s something I’ll need to do over time. Let me just say that I love your style of writing, how you seem to pour your heart into it.

This post is one I can especially relate to right now. I am constantly wanting to do different things with the house, but on one income it’s not usually possible. You know, things like a new HVAC system take precedence over interior design, however unfun that may be.

Anyway, love your blog and look forward to continuing to follow your story. (now following you on Twitter!)
Jennifer recently posted..WW: Nap boycotts

9 Michelle Snike { 05.27.12 at 6:42 am }

I’ve been thinking (a lot) about my house. It’s cute and all. It just…needs some work. Bless its heart.

I hope you can achieve the big plan changes for your home. It is nice to renovate a home because having a beautiful new look of the home can really relax the mind and this can be a good starting for 2012. Indeed, you really have a big plan for changes in your home so good luck for that.

To be honest, it mostly needs people with expendable income…but, it’s not going to get that until we sell it. So, in the meantime, I feel like it needs some work in the HOME department.
Michelle Snike recently posted..Maxirex

10 Sandra Parker { 06.08.12 at 3:32 am }

Hi, Tiffany. Just don’t lost hope. I know you can obtain the ideal home you want. I hope in the near future you can obtain the home appearance you ever dream. Go for your dream house. Good luck to your house renovation.
Sandra Parker recently posted..Brighter, Whiter Smiles With These Teeth Whitening Tips

11 Sara Williams { 06.21.12 at 10:41 am }

Renovating a home is quite a task and it costs a lot. My husband and I are low financially because of the task we took upon ourselves to renovate our house.
Sara Williams recently posted..100% Blonde Jokes: The Best Dumb Funny Clean Short and Long Blonde Jokes Book

12 Julianne Mackie { 07.06.12 at 5:00 am }

It is really great to renovate a home. This could inspire you to stay always in your home. In fact, this year I am planning to renovate my home and I am starting to research some ideas for it.
Julianne Mackie recently posted..Female Libido Booster Gels and Creams: The Top Three Products that are out in the market today

13 Samantha Brent { 07.09.12 at 4:58 am }

This year, it is my dream to renovate my home and get a new look. However, my budget is not that stable so probably I will move it next year.
Samantha Brent recently posted..How you can Benefit From Teeth Whitening

14 Shannon Telch { 07.11.12 at 10:48 pm }

I am planning to have home renovation this year so good luck to us.
Shannon Telch recently posted..Hair Loss Prevention: What is the Best Method?

15 Debra Baldwin { 08.07.12 at 3:05 am }

I am searching for new tips and designs for my room renovation so I hope I can find it online.
Debra Baldwin recently posted..Can you Whiten Your Teeth Easily At Home