MomNom Header!

Enjoying the Last Few Sips of Summer

With Summer coming to an end,  and quite a few things still left uncrossed on that old Summer To-Do List, we spent some time over Labor Day weekend carefully sipping on the last few drops of Summer.

We didn’t want another summer to pass us by, without taking in all its goodness.   Without acknoweledging the  joy that lightening bugs and campfire smores bring to little boys and growing girls – so we packed up the kids, layered them from head to toe, and headed down the road to the grandparent’s house.

The boys chose the site, daring their instincts as they declared the back corner of Bubs’ grandparents yard, farthest from the house, darkest in the night, THE spot!  Together they felt brave and confident.

Clearly,  their not as scary and intimidating as they think they are.  But gosh, their cute.

I found myself stepping back from the group on a number of occasions – taking in the moments third person.  I could see the memories forming  in their eyes.   I could literally watch as their brains processed the joy and  adventure the night would hold…and my heart felt as if it would burst at any moment.

I couldn’t help but compare how different this Summer was to last.  How hopeless Labor Day seemed, how dreadful that wheelchair made even the most simple of outtings.

But most of all, how much my world has changed in just one year & how very blessed I am to be ”mom.”  A title, I am ashamed to admit,  I take for granted all too often.  Along with this one…

And his wife.

{Dad came along for the ride.  But the boys swore they didn’t need him.}

While they were busy,  my Bubbette found her place in the arms of her Aunt Judi {Grandma’s BFF}.  Judi is our angel.    Countless times over the last year she has been an answer to our prayers, an angel for our anxiety and a rock when our life has felt unstable.  And trust me, it has felt quite unstable at times…

We love her more than she will ever know.  More than any words could ever say.  And, as you can tell from this picture, she’s pretty fond of us too.

While the boys played Cowboys & Indians,  chasing each other through the yard with makeshift guns and homemade sound effects {aka – their mouths}, Bubbette did her best to soak in all that the evening had to offer as well.

{Clearly, she has seen better hair days.  But, it doesn’t matter when you’re camping out.  Right?  We won’t tell her.

The pup watched as the boys ran around the yard.  I’m certain she didn’t know what to think of them.  Regardless, she seemed to also be soaking in the last few moments of Summer right along with us.

{Below friends, is what we call the squishy face.  Brace your uterii. {Is that a word?  Oh well,  it is now.}}

And as night fell, the campfire started.  Which meant one word – SMORES.

The flames flickered and their eyes lit up, oozing happiness from their souls.  And their mouths.

And, as the boys headed to the tent, to settle in for the night, Bubbette took a dip in grandma’s sink to wash away the smoke…

Summer, consider yourself drained.

What were some of the things on your Summer To Do List?  Did you get them all crossed off?  What’s your favorite way to spend those enchanting Summer nights?  I’m already starting my list for next year…

________________________

Have you been over to Band Back Together yet?  What in the name of all things Holy are you waiting on??

20 comments

1 Mo P { 09.20.10 at 8:08 am }

Looks like everyone had a great time!

Our summer was good, we took our little boy camping for the first time, lots of evening strolls, and time spent with great family and friends! But of course, there is always something you regret not doing. I wish I got out more with my little boy, more days at the park, more quiet morning walks.

Fall is my favourite time of the year, so I am making the most of it! Lots of snuggly more walks in our fleece jammies. Evenings of sitting with the windows open taking in that cool crisp air, while building block towers, and eating fresh baked muffins.

Have fun making next years' list, just don't wish away the fall, winter, and spring that are ahead of us!

momnom Reply:

Fall is my favorite time too. I already have a list of pumpkin patches and hay rides, and apple cider and bombfires started. =)

2 Sara { 09.20.10 at 9:17 am }

Oh the squishy face…Pie makes a very similar one and it gets me every time!

momnom Reply:

The Squishy Face is a deal breaker. That child can get anything she wants with that face. I just love it.

3 t.bird { 09.20.10 at 9:25 am }

summer! tis over here.

i didn't have a list- because it'd probably be seriuosly lacking in check marks!

4 LCW { 09.20.10 at 9:29 am }

there are so many sweet things about your post and pictures, the proud look on the boys' faces, the camo, the pup, the squish face…..

momnom Reply:

They were just too sweet not to post.

5 birdestudios { 09.20.10 at 9:52 am }

bubs? he's going to be a heart-breaker for sure!!

such a fun get together!! and adorable photos :)

momnom Reply:

Thanks dear! We think he's pretty much adorable too.

6 Kellyn { 09.20.10 at 11:43 am }

You kids are gorgeous! Looks like a really fun time too. Summer is always great, but I agree with some earlier comments – I LOVE fall. Although, out here in the Pacific Northwest our winter weather can tend to drag on for like 9 months of the year, LOL, but it's all good. Anyways, great post to send off summer! :)

momnom Reply:

Thank you! I'm really looking forward our Fall list too!

[Reply]

7 Tweets that mention Enjoying the Last Few Sips of Summer — Mom-Nom.Com -- Topsy.com { 09.20.10 at 12:03 pm }

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Mom-Nom.Com, Mom-Nom.Com. Mom-Nom.Com said: I had to share these pictures – tomorrow we will be back to your regularly scheduled bullshit – http://bit.ly/cqNVSA [...]

8 Eliza { 09.20.10 at 2:23 pm }

Oh, that looked like such a fun time! I can't tell you the last time I had a smore, but now I really really need one!

Great pics too! What great memories!

momnom Reply:

Hey dear! Thanks! We had a blast – it was such a great night. How have you been??

momnom Reply:

Thank you dear! The smores were amazing, just like I remembered them as a kid!

9 harmskills { 09.20.10 at 7:59 pm }

what a great post! I love the idea of camping out and it looks the kids had such a great time. I am posting my final summer to do list recap this week! on To fall!

momnom Reply:

I'm loving my Fall to do list even more than Summer. It's my favorite season, with pumpkin patches, hay rides, haunted houses, apple cider…I can't wait!

We're taking the boy to his first highschool football game this year too! He already went to his first pro football game during pre-season.

10 Kellie Girl { 09.22.10 at 10:01 am }

This looks like so much fun! Cant wait for my boys to get old enough for fun camp outs! Cant wait for Fall, best time of the year for sure!

momnom Reply:

It was fun. It will for sure be something we do every year. At least until the kids hate it…=)

11 Devan { 09.23.10 at 12:35 am }

Looks like you had a wonderful time! my son has been asking to co camping and i am SO not that person but i dont think i will get away with not doing it much longer – next summer i guess :)